Introducing Summer Art Fridays
For our first weekly highlight from our Summer Fridays collaboration with ARTINFO, we chose the work of Pat Falco, an illustrator whose art combines a dry sense of humor with quirky, empathy-inspiring sketches. Falco submitted the sketch above, and we asked him to answer a few questions about the piece and his work as a whole.
Describe the piece you submitted to Summer Fridays.
"Note to Self" is part of series of notes I did, mostly poking fun at myself (and anyone that relates to me). It was a pretty simple idea just based around over-thinking the most instinctive motions because there are intimidating people around — in this case, pretty girls.
How does the piece relate to your memories of summer?
Well, unfortunately, I don’t have too much experience hanging around bikini volleyball teams — but the general idea of suddenly forgetting how to perform the most basic motions in front of a large pack of pretty girls at the beach seems to be a reoccurring summer experience.
Describe your process.
I don’t do too much sketching. Usually I try and go into a piece with a general idea or thought and it tends to finalize itself as i’m making it. I think my work is a balance of sadness and a sense of humor — I try to find the joke I want to express and then avoid it.
Where do you find your inspiration?
I originally went to art school for film, and after failing to find my voice in any particular medium, I ended up in illustration. I’m still pretty drawing-heavy, but my work is expanding into new media a lot which has been fun. I draw a lot of inspiration from people’s daily interactions, the Internet, literature, and all the art that I don’t like.
How has Tumblr helped you?
Tumblr has been a great place to draw inspiration, connect with other artists, and have a place to constantly show your work. It’s a lot easier to post work to Tumblr and have it be seen instantly than finding a gallery to show a select body of your work (or just a few pieces in a group show). The ability to have instant reactions and feedback has been very helpful.
- sashiiro likes this
- avecitaramirez likes this
- toinfinityandbeyond-imagination likes this
- evandb reblogged this from storyboard
- wanbitao likes this
- joselinbabi likes this
- evandb likes this
- lonelyheartsandtwistedthoughts reblogged this from storyboard
- ayshbox likes this
- lishamoon likes this
- eiffeltower-paris likes this
- if-youloveme-letmeknow likes this
- september-argument likes this
- buysteroidsunitedkingdom reblogged this from storyboard
- bachico619 reblogged this from storyboard
- trippydr3ams likes this
- biologement likes this
- biologement reblogged this from storyboard
- brokenalterdbeat likes this
- sentimanchor reblogged this from storyboard
- king00100 likes this
- shesintheskye reblogged this from storyboard
- putas-valencia likes this
- dailysketchcrossing likes this
- huutch reblogged this from storyboard
- ashajay reblogged this from chubby-bunnies
- illustrationilike reblogged this from storyboard
- normanshapiro likes this
- hipster-womens-fashion likes this
- cla-re-ando reblogged this from excellentwords
- meandyouandeveryoneweknow likes this
- emberose reblogged this from storyboard
- calleebigbud likes this
- theeuntitledblog likes this
- urbansuburbs reblogged this from storyboard
- sweatpants-princess reblogged this from storyboard
- theboywiththekittentattoo reblogged this from storyboard
- my-rebel-love reblogged this from storyboard
- sandytannenbaumnyc likes this
- golddenslumbers likes this
- destenieee reblogged this from storyboard
- kotoriraru likes this
- pammalagon reblogged this from storyboard
- sashahutcherson likes this
- scandalousmemories reblogged this from storyboard
- valvicente likes this
- aztayrocks reblogged this from storyboard
- made-a-new-blog likes this
- ysabelkaila reblogged this from storyboard