Summer Art Fridays: Photographer Cynthia Henebry
For our latest highlight from our Summer Art Fridays collaboration with ARTINFO, we chose the work of photographer Cynthia Henebry, a Virginia-based artist whose sensitive, emotional images often explores themes of childhood and growth. Henebry’s photos reflect a deep sense of place and a joy for the things that make summer great: the season’s abundance of light, the presence of family, and the sense of freedom that floats in the air.
Describe the piece you submitted to Summer Fridays.
This is a picture of two girls who I frequently photograph, Eloise and Sophia. They are friends, not sisters, by the way. Our families were at the pool together, and when I saw them hanging out under the tree in that light, I knew the shot that I wanted right away.
How does the piece relate to your memories of summer?
In addition to my sons (who don’t particularly remind me of myself), I often take pictures of children who do remind me of myself, and whose experiences might mirror my own. Something about these girls’ skinny little summer legs and bathing suits says a lot to me. Being at the pool with a girlfriend, taking a break from the heat, sharing a secret.
Describe your process.
I shoot exclusively with film, and usually with medium format, which works fine for the quiet moments I’m after. I don’t set it up, but I always know immediately when I see a moment that has the charge I’m interested in, and then I move right in.
How did you end up making art?
I have taken photographs since the age of 10, at least, and my mother has always been my greatest inspiration for that — she was always with a camera in hand, since you just never know. I find my inspiration in almost any place I am; I have yet to find a place or person that seems like they wouldn’t be interesting to photograph. Though one does have to set limits, of course.
How has Tumblr helped you?
I love the fluid nature of Tumblr — I don’t feel pressure to “keep up,” because it would never be possible, but I love the amazing community of artists sharing their work and sources of inspiration. Every day that I look, I find something new to be amazed by.
- rexaa reblogged this from caata-lina
- panta80 likes this
- georgiabeecraft reblogged this from storyboard
- liveandletlive likes this
- laragefest reblogged this from mostly-imaginary
- mostly-imaginary reblogged this from storyboard
- fyitwat reblogged this from c0-okies
- mowowomo reblogged this from tumblropenarts
- mowowomo likes this
- lishamoon likes this
- faalingup likes this
- fruma reblogged this from storyboard
- putas-valencia likes this
- dailysketchcrossing likes this
- becodapraiavelha reblogged this from storyboard
- grracewren reblogged this from tumblrradararchive
- dreamgatcher likes this
- soul-wanderer reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- san0406 reblogged this from ogra0606
- uhhh-h-h--hh reblogged this from jawscut
- dotcore likes this
- weownourhell reblogged this from storyboard
- underlit reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- mdtepsic likes this
- normanshapiro likes this
- jennykim1207 reblogged this from storyboard
- tears-turn-into-alcohol reblogged this from expl0sivelove
- expl0sivelove reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- e-n-j-o-y-o-u-t-h reblogged this from chimpanzez
- e-n-j-o-y-o-u-t-h likes this
- fuc-kyo-u reblogged this from storyboard
- djesha reblogged this from storyboard
- grymma-morgon reblogged this from cosmiclumos
- macialyse reblogged this from storyboard
- matt1999 likes this
- amydickerson likes this
- trust-y0ur-struggl3 reblogged this from storyboard
- a-licia-xox reblogged this from storyboard
- mistaken-for-strangers reblogged this from storyboard
- hillhop likes this
- mystiful reblogged this from storyboard
- msirie reblogged this from storyboard
- this-is-worek reblogged this from storyboard
- thedinosaurwasthere reblogged this from storyboard
- pur3-life reblogged this from storyboard
- orientalchicken reblogged this from storyboard
- saidy246 likes this
- ogra0606 reblogged this from storyboard
- meowxsara reblogged this from vodkaandvogue
- alanna-christopher likes this