One Direction: The Tumblr Interview
One band. Five boys. A recently completed US tour (plus a new one upcoming), and nearly half a million Tumblr blogs devoted to their every move. We ask the boys of British pop act One Direction — Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, and Liam Payne — about realness, fandom, and what it’s like to be the object of so much feminine attention. For more on 1D, see our special fandom report, along with our gifset, video, and guide to becoming a Directioner.
What’s it like having swarms of girls chasing you around the globe?
LIAM: It’s very flattering obviously as we can see how much they care for us. We just hope they’re crying tears of joy! None of us could obviously ever have imagined this just two years ago. I don’t think anyone could have seen this coming to be honest. I don’t think there is anything hard about having such a dedicated fan base. It is actually great to know that there are people out there that love what we do since we put so much hard work into it. The pressure to not disappoint them is obviously there!
One Direction is often the most popular topic on Tumblr. Do you think 1D could have existed before the Internet era?
ZAYN: I think that it would have yes but it would have taken us so much longer to get established worldwide. The internet helped us jump all the classic hurdles that bands had back in the day.
What kinds of gifts do you get from fans?
NIALL: Fans do come up with some amazing gifts. The amount of detail they put in creating banners for the shows or drawings of us is incredible. We keep most of them and when we are on tour we have them all collected and sent back to the UK. We also get given some crazy stuff but we don’t mind that.
Did you ever go wild for a band or singer when you were growing up?
HARRY: My biggest idol has always been Chris Martin from Coldplay. He is such a great singer, performer, and writer. If I could be as talented as any musician it would be him all day long.
Is it ever stressful knowing that there are literally millions of people analyzing your every move?
LIAM: I wouldn’t say it’s stressful at all … Since The X-Factor our lives have obviously changed but I would say for the better. We have millions of fans that support us and we get to meet them while travelling all over the world.
In many ways, 1D is the most highly produced band out there. But fans say you are also the most real. What do you think makes you down to earth?
LOUIS: I think that we have always been ourselves from day one and we keep our selves grounded. We have a big team working with us and we make all the final decisions on everything, be it styling, song and lyric choices, tour creative. We like to be involved in everything, that way everything we do is “us” and real.
Do you ever feel pressured to live up to the “characters” that your fans create, through fan-fiction or otherwise? What do you think about “Larry”?
LOUIS: This is a subject that was funny at first but now is actually hard to deal with as I am in relationship. Me and Harry are best friends, people look into our every move, it is actually affecting the way me and Harry are in public, we want to joke around but there seems to be a different rumor every time we do anything. I act the same way with Harry as I do any of the other boys and my childhood friend Stan.
What’s the hardest part about such sudden fame?
ZAYN: Guess the hardest part is being away from home so much and missing our friends and family. But then again I get to travel with four of my closest friends all around the world so we keep ourselves positive. And fans help us a lot as well!
What makes 1D different from the other acts?
LIAM: I don’t know. I think we just try to be ourselves as much as possible and never take anything too seriously.
FOR MORE ON ONE DIRECTION, SEE OUR SPECIAL FANDOM REPORT.
(Photo by John Urbano)
- wantering-blog likes this
- acoustic-mind reblogged this from loucouture
- takethisunderthecorktree likes this
- giulia4everflo likes this
- perriecious likes this
- loucouture reblogged this from yuphazz
- orghazzsm likes this
- yuphazz reblogged this from mixingdirections
- mixingdirections reblogged this from storyboard
- leahescarfullery likes this
- kiss-me-hazza-styles reblogged this from thedeviantdaydreamer
- moecisneros likes this
- ninastyles10 reblogged this from milenamalik195
- milenamalik195 reblogged this from onedirection
- idcthissucks likes this
- stypayhorliksonxxx reblogged this from onedirection
- mcklumsey33 likes this
- mc-hammer-mc-chisel likes this
- mc-hammer-mc-chisel reblogged this from storyboard
- flowerboymalik likes this
- swiftygrl likes this
- sureliveclear likes this
- mathildehoranwiehl likes this
- guesswhoanonlarry likes this
- govenagarewal likes this
- alondrasolis11 likes this
- justbreathe-love likes this
- intriguesofayoungmind reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- liamlover120301 likes this
- hazzalovestommo10 likes this
- hazzalovestommo10 reblogged this from storyboard
- themiserablelifeofalarryshipper reblogged this from storyboard
- themiserablelifeofalarryshipper likes this
- karrrrrrrlaa likes this
- herbcitty reblogged this from thekingofholmeschapel
- ogs7 likes this
- funwithnourry likes this
- bringfetus1dback-now likes this
- thegirlwiththebluehairtips reblogged this from thekingofholmeschapel
- thekingofholmeschapel reblogged this from saturday-styles
- iheartonedirectionsnurre likes this
- holy-holy-hazza likes this
- sarwahnote likes this
- whenitseasyitswrong likes this
- anayadcarvajal likes this
- clouisy likes this
- clouisy reblogged this from storyboard
- joy0319 reblogged this from onedirection
- joy0319 likes this