Summer Art Fridays: Photographer Cheyne Gallarde
With the help of his studio, Firebird Photography, Hawaii-based photographer Cheyne Gallarde creates poppy fashion shoots and elegantly retro photographs that bring to mind decades long past. That all-is-good vibe, plus the boundless sunshine of the photo above, is why we chose him for Summer Fridays this week.
Describe the piece you submitted to Summer Fridays.
This was a fashion editorial for the vintage boutique CLOTH, which carried unique re-thrifted vintage items. The store itself no longer exists, but the photo (which has appeared in several magazines since then) has become very iconic and synonymous with me.
How does the piece relate to your memories of summer?
Summer is about enjoying the sun and nature. The park I shot this photo at is a popular hill-sliding park. I have many fond memories of running up and sliding down the hill on a piece of cardboard as a kid.
Describe your process.
Ninety five percent of my magic is done outside of the camera. I select the wardrobe, sketch the poses, scout the perfect location, coordinate with hair and makeup, and then light them to perfection. This shot used only one light (most visible on the female model’s left arm) and the sun did the rest.
How did you end up making art?
I’ve been involved in art ever since I was a kid. I flunked out of design school and interned at a couple of magazines as a graphic designer. In addition to art, theater has always been a passion of mine. I started shooting headshots of my fellow actors using my first DSLR and haven’t stopped shooting since. Five years later, my work has improved by leaps and bounds but the zealous passion for making art still exists. My work is heavily inspired by Norman Rockwell. I am also inspired by visionary directors like Michel Gondry and Wes Anderson.
How has Tumblr helped you?
I try not to follow other photographers’ work because they don’t excite or inspire me, so Tumblr is a good way for me to find artists of other media. From painters to sculptors to independent filmmakers, I get lost in the endless stream of diverse, interesting work.
- nonsearchandrebloo reblogged this from storyboard
- aleiimariie reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- likeavintagelove likes this
- thoughtsreflectionsideas reblogged this from storyboard
- maramarta likes this
- volnay007 reblogged this from m-zzataka
- m-zzataka reblogged this from kagurazakaundergroundresistance
- popsicle-n reblogged this from storyboard
- koolkola likes this
- cozycozyocean likes this
- elitito likes this
- versacebabyrosejeans reblogged this from storyboard
- shin-pom reblogged this from kagurazakaundergroundresistance
- mogemura likes this
- stratocaster1978 likes this
- kameraporno reblogged this from kagurazakaundergroundresistance
- kagurazakaundergroundresistance reblogged this from mcsgsym
- deixa-andar reblogged this from deixa-andar
- livinforthemusic reblogged this from storyboard
- x-lady-leejieun likes this
- kcfirst likes this
- happywhite-girl-in-the-universe reblogged this from storyboard
- best-buy-appliances likes this
- iphone-unlock-miami likes this
- buy-wordpress-templates likes this
- circuit-design likes this
- eco-web-hosting likes this
- youtubeih6uytvefmw likes this
- christiant-shirts likes this
- crossbow-scopes likes this
- forex-signal-trading likes this
- ruby--on-rails likes this
- what-is-50-shades-of-grey-about likes this
- talented-graphics-designer likes this
- official-hcg-diet likes this
- spectrum--analyzer likes this
- topgear-driving-tuition likes this
- cheap-business-website likes this
- see-honeybee reblogged this from storyboard
- fireofloveisinfinitive reblogged this from storyboard
- fireofloveisinfinitive likes this
- lasanmarquena likes this
- help-me-find-a-job likes this
- pattaya-people likes this
- order-now likes this
- yogurt-franchise likes this
- long-term-care-insurance-partner likes this
- abogados-de-irvine likes this
- architects-in-merida-mexico likes this