Summer Art Fridays: Laura Petrovich-Cheney
For this week’s partnership with ArtInfo, we’ve chosen the work of Laura Petrovich-Cheney, an art teacher, sculptor, and photographer whose work is inspired by salvaged materials and quilt designs. The piece above, “Barn Razing,” is inspired by her summers spent on the New Jersey shore — and composed of old barn wood, boat wood and picket fencing.
Describe your process.
I give value to objects that are normally ignored, stepped on, tossed aside, or washed up upon the shore as debris. I use motorized saws to create new relationships between colors and textures. The work investigates how I manage life’s ambiguities.
How does this piece relate to your memories of summer?
Living in the picket-fenced community of suburbia called New Jersey, it is a tradition to go the shore for the summer. My dad knew all the backroads to avoid the tourist traffic. The backroads are where the local Jersey farms are and we would always stop for fresh produce, and to see the cows and horses in their red barns. All the discarded wood that I use comes from the collective traditions of spending summers in New Jersey.
How did you end up making art?
Jacob Lawrence once said that all children use crayons and paint, and some stop, but he did not. I feel the same way. Ideas begin on walks in the woods or along the shore with my dog. However, the real inspiration comes from making plenty of mistakes in the studio and learning from them.
What do you try to capture in your work?
My photographs record the life that I live as a female visual artist. I try to be true to what I am passionate about and honor those passions — the daily, mundane routines; the growing and nurturing of my plants and animals; and taking care of the little speck of earth that I call home. I don’t have illusions that my work will save the world — I am too small and insignificant. Instead, I just keep doing what I love to do and sharing it with the world on platforms like Tumblr.
- obviouslyyo reblogged this from watdepotschaft
- serendipitystrikesagain reblogged this from storyboard
- lishamoon likes this
- howtoartstuff likes this
- wunderrbar reblogged this from storyboard
- putas-valencia likes this
- expressyourstarstruckrebel likes this
- wutheringdistance likes this
- 191ostrow likes this
- lingeriesexytime likes this
- cheshireformara reblogged this from storyboard
- its-cool-i-got-this reblogged this from storyboard
- tracuyen likes this
- smartdumbperson likes this
- na2104 likes this
- zonedinspace reblogged this from storyboard
- kingswalk reblogged this from storyboard
- watdepotschaft reblogged this from storyboard
- yamen-alaghbar reblogged this from storyboard
- janineeebooonsooo reblogged this from storyboard
- pulcoo likes this
- kingswalk likes this
- nebulahart likes this
- normanshapiro likes this
- lethalcross likes this
- playanon likes this
- gallarusarts likes this
- ncruzc likes this
- ohthatsbadnothatsgood reblogged this from storyboard
- workthisout reblogged this from storyboard
- lifelostlifegone reblogged this from storyboard
- doitbcisaidso reblogged this from storyboard
- huanfourthree likes this
- poenraven5011 likes this
- yvonnelimanco likes this
- baitmcr reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- mgw18 likes this
- jnana9 likes this
- twainrall reblogged this from storyboard
- marianela313 likes this
- breparker42 likes this
- poly-logue likes this
- zot24 likes this
- dmahon007 likes this
- jindkhan likes this
- nandrosiesca likes this
- emiclairelif3happiness likes this
- mldp-gulfshores-to-northshores likes this
- totalitarianvegetables likes this