Summer Art Fridays: Photographer Eddy Vallante
It’s the end of the summer, and thus our last selection for our Summer Fridays blog. To finish up on an excellent note, we chose the work of 30-year-old Brooklyn photographer Eddy Vallante, whose portraits of musicians make his Tumblr a must-see. This shot, however, is of a puppy, gazing longingly out the window at something just out of reach. It’s how we all feel looking out at the last warm days of August.
Describe the piece you submitted to Summer Fridays.
This is a photo of Elly. I was watching her one afternoon in Crown Heights for friends of mine who had just gotten married. I was tossing a toy around with her when something outside demanded her immediate attention. She just ran over and sat down. I don’t know what it is, but I love when dogs sit and stare like this. It’s hilarious.
How does the piece relate to your memories of summer?
Elly reminded me of my dog Bubba, who was also a black lab. I grew up in a neighborhood in the woods of Rhode Island and summers were spent on bikes and skateboards with games of manhunt at night. There must have been 15 of us, all around the same age, and almost everyone had a dog.
Describe your process.
I try to bring a camera with me anywhere I go.
How did you end up making art?
This sounds ridiculous, but I really believe it all comes down to watching Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles. Because they lived in New York City, I always wanted to live in NYC. And, now I do. I find my inspiration from anything that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It can literally be from anything. A conversation with a close friend or family member, a film or TV episode, or something I read. When I feel that, I know that I’m going to want to do something creative immediately.
How has Tumblr helped you?
I love Tumblr. I love surfing through other artists’ work and seeing what else is out there. It’s inspiring and makes me want to work harder. I’ll try and post something new every week and if I find that I’m not, it just means I’m not out there working hard enough.
- palerthanpaper likes this
- theronveira reblogged this from pr0fundum
- nermeenwahid likes this
- zachery-tyndall reblogged this from lifeavecdave
- andyyydna reblogged this from summerfridays
- samantha-g-morrisseyy reblogged this from theshangrila
- sophia-hanna likes this
- marycarrizales likes this
- jasab likes this
- jaascortez reblogged this from tua-m-a-r-r-e-n-t-a
- kartago reblogged this from let-the-wild-rumpus-begin
- titanic5323 likes this
- tripletterscore reblogged this from octilannes
- always-tranqui reblogged this from beatrizpinheiro10
- r-idicularizando-11 reblogged this from jaascortez
- chris-fuzzies reblogged this from derisann
- navigators-of-illusion reblogged this from jesuisconsu
- brainsrunthecountry reblogged this from storyboard
- pinkkdogg likes this
- worldwillbeperfect reblogged this from einversagermitstil
- sugarpumpkin reblogged this from mumfoodandsons
- natica1947 reblogged this from storyboard
- andrepagliaro likes this
- justkeepcalmdanceon reblogged this from light-hearts-live-long
- chichicomvn likes this
- groovienote reblogged this from storyboard
- stillsofbeing likes this
- tricialuisel reblogged this from xchris95
- xchris95 reblogged this from storyboard
- littlegreycells likes this
- whtittakes reblogged this from storyboard
- shuswapsunrise reblogged this from ryanpatience
- ryanpatience reblogged this from justin-verlander
- jaqhogan likes this
- citydililah likes this
- stonedwalker likes this
- stacgrc reblogged this from storyboard
- rennipop likes this
- gigib0626 likes this
- charjames reblogged this from storyboard
- marbleswirl123 likes this
- hanniebunni reblogged this from storyboard
- bolotasflutuantes reblogged this from jaascortez
- desertado reblogged this from e-l-i-p-s-e
- e-l-i-p-s-e reblogged this from jaascortez
- bru-love-s2 reblogged this from laure-ar
- je-suis-vieux reblogged this from s-piralling
- nutrang likes this
- hegell likes this