This Month in Charts: September
September brought Americans together with culture, politics, sports, technology, and — as usual — outrage. I Love Charts brings together the most graphable moments of the month.
Dance Like Nobody’s — er, Grandma’s — Watching
I Love Charts started the month on the ground at the DNC, documenting it all for Tumblr’s official Election blog. While in Charlotte, we were struck by how similar the music selection was to another event:
Mitt’s Fuzzy Math
The conventions were the prelude to a month focused on the race to the White House, and the addition of a new number to the canon of political percentages. Add 47 percent — Mitt Romney’s estimation of the segment of America that does not pay taxes — to the 99 percent, the 1 percent and, of course, Mitt’s own 13% tax rate.
And Justice for All
We’re On Strike!
No, Seriously, We’re On Strike
By far the most noticeable labor dispute is that between the National Football League and their referees, who were locked out over what amounts to less than 1 percent of total NFL revenue.The NFL regular season began in September despite the two sides being unable to come to an agreement. Replacement (scab) refs were used — to disastrous effect.
The only downgrade worse than that of the officiating quality of the NFL is that of the maps on the new iPhone iOS, which came out this month. Out are Google maps and in are Apple maps, which are, well, horrible. Other than that, the iPhone 5 gives us the same things the iPhone 4s gave us but slightly better — plus it has five rows of apps now rather than four, so there is that. Whee?
Gangnam Style Jumps the Shark
Since the iPhone 5 proved to be so underwhelming, September will probably be best known as the month the rest of the world found out about the most viral Korean pop hit of all time, Gangnam Style — you know, that video that popularized the “invisible horse” dance. What was once just Korea’s — and then just Korea’s and the internet’s — is now everywhere. The spread of the phenomenon has proved, for the billionth time, things are not cool once they appear on the shows your mother watches.
Royal Pain in the … Hello!
Speaking of overexposed: Kate Middleton. Yup, paparazzi snapped shots of the Duchess of Cambridge sunbathing topless and the tabloids ran with them, setting up a much-needed and inevitably unheeded debate about privacy. Also worth debate: how many pixels does it take to actually see something?
See you in October!
- 171gifer likes this
- gifts-for--men likes this
- tachyonemc2 reblogged this from storyboard
- tachyonemc2 likes this
- megalove0707 likes this
- dottild likes this
- memegirl99 reblogged this from occupiedmuslim
- memegirl99 likes this
- occupiedmuslim reblogged this from petebesticle
- slim-docker-49 likes this
- alex-the-jewellery likes this
- alexneisler reblogged this from storyboard
- alexneisler likes this
- jamesam251 likes this
- vikkip7 reblogged this from storyboard
- bephenomeniall likes this
- lobasi likes this
- v-ultuosus likes this
- nyashaaaaaaaa likes this
- lishamoon likes this
- chanceblakclub likes this
- vwcg likes this
- mymarketingfile likes this
- kurt-penberg likes this
- traveltheworldguy likes this
- ajhpow reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- beatlesgrl reblogged this from storyboard
- brainwashing14 likes this
- telepathicmagic likes this
- aodtempest reblogged this from storyboard
- bunkershotgolf likes this
- sfstation likes this
- ohteenagedream reblogged this from storyboard
- iammullet likes this
- 203y likes this
- elexishasaturtle likes this
- iamsandals reblogged this from storyboard
- iamsandals likes this
- each-node-are-equal likes this
- green-paprika likes this
- ablank2 reblogged this from storyboard
- jax13ml reblogged this from ilovecharts
- myworld9526 likes this
- ibunnz likes this
- petebesticle reblogged this from storyboard
- anagnk reblogged this from storyboard
- wonkydata likes this
- gunhillsunny reblogged this from storyboard
- pauliemusicfactory reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- greenvolcano reblogged this from ilovecharts