The Creators of NYC: Menswear Icon Nick Wooster
This story was coproduced in partnership with The Daily Beast.
Josh Wool spent a decade as an executive chef, opening restaurants across the south. But all that changed in 2010, when the carpal tunnel in his hands meant he could no longer work. To keep from going stir crazy, he picked up a camera and found his next calling. Two years, thousands of portraits, and a move to New York later, Wool is documenting the people who inspire him on a daily basis. Welcome to Creators of NYC.
Nickelson Wooster is a veritable master of all things sartorial. He’s been called the “alpha male of American street style” by GQ and has redefined the norm for modern masculine fashion through his work at Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, Calvin Klein — and now JC Penney. His personal brand, a kind of of rugged style meets elegance, has shaped the way men dress all over the world. We caught up with the Kansas native at Bobo, one of his favorite West Village restaurants.
Can you describe what inspires your style?
Getting dressed for me is like a window to my soul. I grew up in the 60s and 70s when men were required to wear a suit, shirt, and tie every day to be taken seriously. I was at the tail end of that generation, and it had a significant impact on me. I always favor being overdressed –- if I’m not wearing a suit, I’m wearing a jacket.
What does fashion say about a person?
To me, how you dress is a way to show you care. I think the way you dress is a direct reflection out of what you will get out of your day; you make the effort, people will notice. You’ll feel better, and those around you will feel better.
Tell us about your new(ish) role at JC Penney.
I want to offer customers a way to feel better about themselves. I have found that guys are not only interested in style — they really want to know how they can get it at a good price. If I can offer our customers an upgraded point of view at prices they are comfortable with, I think it is a win for everybody.
But people don’t exactly think of JC Penney in the same league as Niemen Marcus or Barneys. Is that your job, to remake the brand into something more chic?
I’m not proposing three-armed jackets; I’m just proposing taste at an affordable price.
Have you ever had a job you hated?
Following college graduation, I moved to New York to work for Saatchi & Saatchi. The job itself was not crappy, it was just a really crappy fit because it was all numbers, tons of spreadsheets, and analyzing business — all before computers. Years later, I realize it gave me a good understanding of what drives business; but at the time, I did not want to do it.
Now you’re all over the computer. Do you think social media has changed the way we consume fashion?
Absolutely. Tumblr, the Fancy, Instagram — it has democratized fashion in a new way, giving everyone instant access to what is happening on the runways and the street. I’m really interested to see how the publishing and retail worlds might blend together.
What advice can you give the average guy on how to look sharp on a budget?
Fit is so important … it’s about details, not about spending a fortune.
What’s your favorite thing about living in New York?
The great thing about New York is neighborhoods are so close to one another, yet have their own distinctive feel. The West Village has been my home off and on for 30 years, and I love how it retains the feel of local shops — my tailor, barber, and shoemaker are all within 100 feet of my front door.
- juniorsauce reblogged this from fuckyeahnickwooster
- imagoetverbum likes this
- vonkleist66 likes this
- ursius likes this
- ginorast reblogged this from gaybear89
- ginorast likes this
- svenssmallworld likes this
- gaybear89 reblogged this from houseofgianorso and added:
- gaybear89 likes this
- good-governance likes this
- houseofgianorso reblogged this from mattcub
- houseofgianorso likes this
- peta-girl likes this
- jeweller-passion likes this
- sallypants likes this
- mathworks-hedge likes this
- tvshowbiz likes this
- mylove-theastronaut reblogged this from storyboard
- capital-ventures reblogged this from storyboard
- kawaiaugusto likes this
- alightinthefire reblogged this from andrewtheripper and added:
- justfannyaround likes this
- glennspiro-taichi reblogged this from storyboard
- iamrav3n reblogged this from storyboard
- wantering-in-the-hood likes this
- chacinliz likes this
- davidsivesind likes this
- kleinerbar reblogged this from storyboard
- trngsm likes this
- 8244elephant likes this
- gottmewrong likes this
- kellythecrayon reblogged this from storyboard
- dipsomaniax likes this
- rosecoloredjoy likes this
- midnitewaters likes this
- thalamuswheremyheartis reblogged this from storyboard
- slickarmstrong likes this
- toximoxi likes this
- blackliist likes this
- aarjhen likes this
- brianmcmillanphoto likes this
- whoiscutnorris likes this
- coalescinglove likes this
- agilar likes this
- 153flf likes this
- navicular likes this
- idreamtanangel reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- idreamtanangel likes this
- amyiseatingacarrotcake likes this
- draroganto likes this