Charting 2012’s Top Cultural Obsessions
You can’t talk 2012 without talking GIFs: the year’s cultural superstar, the Oxford American Dictionary’s word of the year, and the means by which the internet shared its obsessions (and we all know the internet really likes to obsess). From the GIF to politics to the apocalypse to Honey Boo Boo, the guys from I Love Charts bring you the year’s top cultural obsessions — in GIF form, of course.
2012 was a year where major issues dominated the global narrative. Mainly we talked about the election and zombies.
The world didn’t end in accordance with a misreading of the Mayan calendar, though we certainly wasted a lot of time dissecting the possibility. Add it to the list of disappointments.
America got really into the 2012 presidential election. It was as heartening to see the nation take part in the democratic process as it was predictable to see it go back to ignoring politics immediately afterward.
Remember how suddenly everybody felt like it was their place to talk about rape this year? We never found the right chart to say just how disgusted we were.
50 Shades of Grey
The book that stole America’s loins.
Honey Boo Boooooooooo
Foreign Pop Stars
The summer of 2012 was dominated by pop music made by artists not born in America.
2012 was a huge year for science, we assume. As seems to often be the case, science reporting remained marginalized unless the stories involved Bill Nye, a dude with a mohawk, or cool space things we could fantasize about.
Sorry, Neil Degrasse Tyson fans, our hero for 2012 was Gabrielle Douglas, who captivated us all at the 2012 Olympics.
Yes, Brooklyn. With Jay-Z as its figurehead, the borough not only picked up a professional basketball team but also a brand new stadium. Oh right, and a whole lot of artisanal pickles.
- electronicshockwave reblogged this from minecraftgifs
- electronicshockwave likes this
- just-me-darling reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- just-me-darling likes this
- casaq25 reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- luismarcoc likes this
- hipster-miniskirts likes this
- talissa14 likes this
- profeshladyr likes this
- oheytay reblogged this from storyboard
- legendairied reblogged this from storyboard
- witty-usagi likes this
- lovelustloss likes this
- andromeda1023 likes this
- tiffy710 reblogged this from storyboard
- ieric1982 reblogged this from storyboard
- joshssonicscrewdriver reblogged this from storyboard
- 4evasierra likes this
- zimakochuks likes this
- on-my-way-to-the-tardis likes this
- gifts-for--men likes this
- finishing-touch-accessories likes this
- thatzac likes this
- almbfa2004 reblogged this from storyboard
- ohey-shay reblogged this from storyboard
- adi0s-t0read0r reblogged this from storyboard
- badgerqueenie likes this
- curiouscorner likes this
- laurenreed23 reblogged this from storyboard
- kawaiirebu reblogged this from m-m-mad-madness
- fuging-vanntetting-isolering likes this
- liveslow-runfast likes this
- mcrololo reblogged this from magicalstonesworld
- shinjisushi likes this
- ask-2p-kirkland likes this
- rahahabia reblogged this from magicalstonesworld
- magicalstonesworld reblogged this from dokoro-chan
- live-the-life-you-deserve reblogged this from storyboard
- gotowaniebezstresu likes this
- tylercain4 likes this
- comedyislife reblogged this from rayquayza
- rayquayza reblogged this from storyboard
- writingonwriting reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- fl0werface likes this
- strangah likes this
- timenotfound reblogged this from wired
- humorfirst likes this
- ephereal reblogged this from storyboard
- roselieerlich likes this
- s-p-ice likes this